Former New England Patriots linebacker Willie McGinest was arrested on a felony charge of assault with a deadly weapon in Los Angeles on Monday.
The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Office told local media that McGinest turned himself in early Monday morning for an alleged incident that took place at a West Hollywood nightclub earlier in December. McGinest provided a statement, was charged and then released on $30,000 bond, per the reports. Authorities didn’t release further details of the alleged assault.
McGinest, 51, played 15 NFL seasons, 12 of them with the Patriots from 1994-2005. He made two Pro Bowls and won three Super Bowls with New England before finishing his career with the Cleveland Browns.
Since retiring from football, McGinest has worked as an analyst for ESPN and Fox Sports and currently works for NFL Network. In a statement sent to ProFootballTalk, an NFLN spokesperson said that McGinest has been suspended.
“We are aware of the incident and the video, which is disturbing,” the statement said. “Willie McGinest will not appear on NFL Network while we review the matter.”
Prior to joining the NFL, McGinest played at USC. In 1991, he and teammates Michael Jones and Jason Oliver were charged with sexually assaulting a female graduate student in a dormitory. A jury found all three not guilty on the misdemeanor charges after a five-week trial. Jurors didn’t believe the accuser’s account and there was no corroboration from other witnesses, according to the Los Angeles Times.
The Patriots selected McGinest with the No. 4 picks in the 1994 draft.
McGinest is scheduled to appear in court on Wednesday.